Friday, November 6, 2015

Jane Austen Week- Tag

WARNING: Having lots to do and feeling low on motivation, there are no pictures in this post.  Sorry.

So Naomi is hosting a JA Week over at Wonderland Creek, and I could hardly resist filling out the tag, because I mean... duh. JANE AUSTEN.

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a Jane Austen fan do you consider yourself?

Hmm. Well, that depends on whether we're talking sane fans or crazed fans.  Because there are some weeeeeird JA fans out there, who are... weird.  Well, okay. Compared to anybody I know personally, I'd say 10.  Compared to the world at large, I'd say...7.5.  Haha.  But it depends on where "fan" ends and "obsession" begins. Obsessions, despite the way the word is thrown merrily about these days, are not good things.

2. If "they" would make a new Jane Austen Movie, and you would be able to be cast in it, which Jane Austen character would you most like to play?

Well... Elizabeth Bennet.  ;)  But we don't really need a new P&P as much as some others.  If it was Mansfield Park, I would want to be Fanny Price.  I think I could Do her. :)

3. Is there any felicity in the world superior to a walk?

...Yes. :P

4. Who's your favourite Jane Austen 'villain'? (As in 'villain' meaning 'the bad guy.')

Favorite??? Ehm... as in, least objectionable, or the one I love to hate the most?  Willoughby, I suppose.  He's kind of both at the same time.  I hate him but he could make an interesting companion.



5. What/Who introduced you to Jane Austen?

My sister, through the 1995 Sense & Sensibility.

6. Did you love/enjoy Jane Austen immediately, or has there been a time when you hated (um, prejudged) it?

I absolutely enjoyed Jane Austen immediately.  It awakened a curiosity to find out more and more about her and her stories, and I had no idea how lasting that would be.

7. Who, in your opinion, is the funniest Jane Austen character?

THE funniest? Ehm... Mrs. Jennings is right up there.  Although I tend to prefer Mr. Bennet's humor.

8. Do you quote Jane Austen randomly in public?

Yes, yes, and again I say: yes.

9. Are children allowed to eat cake on weddings?

Generally.  But only if their mommy gets it for them.

10. What is your reaction when you hear that an acquaintance (e.g. A lady at Church) of yours loves Jane Austen?

"I KNEW I LIKED YOUUUU."  (This happened when I started working at a new library three months ago and I found out my supervisor was a fan.)

11. Who writes better letters, Mr Darcy or Captain Wentworth? (If you forgot what the letters were, shame on you, instead tell me if you prefer Strawberries to Chocolate or not.)

I don't know, I've never read a letter of Captain Wentworth's.  By today's standards it was perhaps a letter, but in the story it's really supposed to be a note.  And it depends on the sort of letter. I'm just going to go with Mr. Darcy.

12. Which Jane Austen heroine do you relate the least to?

Well... I THOUGHT this would be an easy question.  I relate to all of them for different reasons!  I feel, though, when I read the books, that Anne Elliot is the one I have the least empathy for.

13. What's your favourite Jane Austen house (from one of the movies)?

Ooh!  Probably Hartfield.  Well, I'm awfully fond of the Dashwoods' cottage in the 1995 movie though.  But that is a cottage, so not a house by 1811's definition. Haha.

14. What's your favourite Jane Austen dress (from one of the movies)?

UM.
That is an incredibly hard question.
Nope, sorry guys, not happening. The first thing to pop into my head was the dress that Emma wears to the Weston wedding in the 2009 miniseries. I want it for my own.

15. Can you turn off lit candles with your fingers?

Can I?  I daresay yes.  Would I?  No.

4 comments:

Naomi Pitts said...

Thank you for doing this, Melody, despite your busy life. :-)

What?!! You're DEFINITELY a 10 when it comes to being-a-Jane-Austen-fan! You're definitely one of biggest Jane Austen fans *I* know. :-D I bet you're too modest. :-)

Yes, as in 'least objectionable.' :-) (About the villains.)

Oh, well, it's supposed to be a NOTE. Haha. I call it a letter.

Emma's dresses are ALWAYS a good idea. "I say YES."

~ Naomi

Katie Hanna said...

I looooooooooooove Emma's wedding dress in 09. It's YELLOW. And it's SILK. How could you go wrong? :)

Yeah . . . I think I could probably play Fanny better than anybody else. Although I don't look at all like her, and that's sad. But her personality reminds me a lot of mine.

Melody said...

Naomi,
Well, you're welcome. :)

HAHAHAHA. Well, that's why I said compared to anybody else I knew personally, I'm a 10. But there are people who have devoted years of study to Jane Austen, and I haven't even read all the minor works!

Jessica,
Yezzzz. Although I meant the one she swears to the Weston wedding-- that wasn't at all clear! I've changed it now. :)

The book doesn't really describe Fanny's looks very much that I remember... although I do imagine she is a petite sort of person.

Sophie said...

Ooh, I thought you might do this one! Haha, I wonder why. :D

Mrs Jennings is hilarious. Her or Mr. Palmer would probably have to be my favourite... I think people tend to forget how funny Sense and Sensibility is. (Although like you said, there IS Mr. Bennet too.)

Least empathy for Anne? Wow, really? ... well, yes, since you said it. :P But that's funny. I always feel I'm quite a lot like her, for some reason.

I LOVE THAT DRESSSSSSSSS. That is all.

Would you rather hear the story...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...